To provide a shopping experience with exceptional customer service and quality products for those looking for the eco-alternative to everyday products in their lives.
Our products are not only good for the environment but also for our customers’ well being. We are committed to supporting a green supply chain and selling products that we feel are truly green – meaning we sell products that meet various green criteria and are produced by manufacturers who also are committed to sustainability practices in their production and delivery of goods.
green from the inside out
At Greenshops, not only do we sell eco-friendly products from eco-friendly manufacturers, we try to live and breathe green in our daily operations and personal lives. We continually look for ways to reduce waste, conserve energy, and minimize the amount of resources we use. Here are some of the ways we are lessening our own impact:
• “We love our ugly boxes!” This is a program we created in 2007 when we first opened our doors to reuse all of our boxes and not have to purchase a single shipping box. Every box has been donated or reused from items that have been received at the store.
• Our gift-wrapping materials and bags are made from 100% recycled content and though we try not to include packing slips or invoices in our boxes, if we do need to we use 100% recycled content paper.
• For those that want registry cards or gift messages, we use Elephant Pooh paper – paper made from Elephanyt Dung in Sri Lanka as part of a program started by Dr. Carl to save elephants from being killed for agriculture and create economy for a renewable resource.
We believe a huge part of living green is not just being green on the inside, but also making a difference to others.
• Greenshops is a member of 1% for the planet and an approved business of Green America.
• We have been Certified as a Women's Business Enterprise.
• We also support many local, national and global non-profits and organizations in various ways. We have organized a Feed the Homeless day, where we feed approximately 200 people, participated with the Girl Scouts with their Eco Pin, donated our time at College Entrepreneur day events and work with disabled children organizations – to name a few.
• We are active members on the Keep Bakersfield Beautiful recycling and educational committee, working hard to create a better local environment.
• We contribute to the annual Make a Difference day event where we have also gotten our hands dirty by picking up trash, planting trees and painting mail boxes to remove graffiti.
• Greenshops has created a line of products from recycled fence post. These products include planter boxes and picture frames created by the wonderful people at BARC. In 2010, we received an award for our contributions to BARC's woodworking department.
• We provide weekly resources for living green on the Eyewitness News every Friday morning at 6 am (Channel 29 and 7 am on Channel 58). Check out our Green Living Green 101 Segment..